Zhi shao hai you ni (Sandy Lam)


About the singer: Sandy Lam (1966) is a Hong Kong singer, actress and album producer. She released more than 30 stylistically diverse albums in Cantonese, Mandarin, English and Japanese. Sandy Lam currently has one song in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: this is one of those unknown gems that I have my wife to thank for. Together with Faye Wong, Sandy Lam is one of the best-loved mandarin pop singers. Overall, Faye Wong is more adventurous in her choice of repertoire, but this beautiful love song (the title's translation is At least I still have you) from her 2000 album Sandy's is better than anything Faye produced. The almost too sweet lyrics (sample in translation: "I'm afraid that there's not enough time, I wanna hold you until I feel that your wrinkles show signs of aging , until I'm sure that you're real, until I've lost all my energy - I'm willing to, because of you") are encompassed in a beautiful melody with great piano playing and a well-judged guitar solo gives some beef to the song as well. Run time 4:31.