For Emily whenever I may find her - live (Simon and Garfunkel)


About the duo: Simon and Garfunkel were responsible for me getting interested in music around 1970. They were active from 1964 until 1970, with occasional reunions since then. Both embarked on solo careers, with Paul Simon's being particularly successful. They are among the best-selling music artists, having sold more than 100 million records. My favourite act from the sixties. Simon and Garfunkel currently have five songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: the intriguingly titled For Emily (whenever I may find her) is the shortest track in my list at just over two minutes. This delicate little love song was originally released on the brilliant 1966 album Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, but has become better known in the live version which is systematically included in their Greatest Hits compilations. It shows off Art Garfunkels voice at his peak in lyrics that are among the most unusual and poetic that Paul Simon has ever written: "What I dream I had:, pressed in organdie, clothed in crinoline of smoky burgundy, softer than the rain. I wandered empty streets down past the shop displays. I heard cathedral bells tripping down the alley ways, as I walked on. " Run time 2:14.