I can't see New York (Tori Amos)


About the artist: Tori Amos (1963) is an American singer-songwriter and pianist, and one of the most successful women in her genre. To date she has released 15 studio albums, many of which have received high praise. Tori Amos currently has eight songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: an outstanding track from her phenomenal 2002 album Scarlets walk, a concept album of an imaginary travel through America after the disaster of September 11th. No other track is clearer with respect to the overlying theme than I can't see New York, where Scarlet (Tori) feels what a woman on top of one of the doomed planes went through as she died, in expressive lyrics such as: "You said you could find me here and you said you would find me even in death and you said you'd find me, but I can't see New York as I'm circling down through white cloud, falling out and I know his lips are warm, but I can't seem to find my way out ...". One of those rare songs that always choke me up. Run time 7:16.