A gentleman's excuse me (Fish)


About the artist: Fish, the stage name of British singer Derek Dick (1958), first became knows as the lead singer of neo prog band Marillion. He left the band in 1988 to embark on a solo career. Fish currently has two songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: A gentleman's excuse me is one of the tracks of Fish' first solo album Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors, released in 1990. In this soft ballad Fish combines a touchy melody with sophisticated lyrics about a couple where the down-to-earth man is tired of the romantic woman's fantasies - for a while I thought that the lyrics could have a double meaning and hint at suicide ("Can't you get it inside your head, I'm tired of dancing"), but I have not been able to find anything on internet to support that. The piano play and orchestration are exquisite. Run time 4:15.