Vigil (Fish)


About the artist: Fish, the stage name of British singer Derek Dick (1958), first became knows as the lead singer of neo prog band Marillion. He left the band in 1988 to embark on a solo career. Fish currently has two songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: Vigil is a track from Fish' 1990 solo debut Vigil in a wilderness of mirrors. An excellent song,and actually better than anything he did with his former band, with the exception of Kayleigh. His frustrations and self-doubts, fumed by alcohol abuse, shine through in the lyrics ("I don't know the score anymore - It's not clear anymore - I can't tell right from wrong anymore - I just don't understand"), whilet the melody line is haunting and the instrumentation fantastic. I especially love the interlude with its bagpipe references (Fish is a Scotsman after all). Run time 8:47.