Angie (Rolling Stones)


About the band: The Rolling Stones are a British rock band formed in London in 1962, and still going strong with four of the original members. Touted  "The Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World", they have released 26 studio albums and still draw sell-out crowds at their concerts. The Rolling Stones currently have one song in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: in general I do not particularly like the Stones, but the exception is this song from the 1973 album Goats Head Soup. Angie was released as a single when I was 16, just at the time that I really started to get interested in pop and rock music. Nothing in their repertoire comes close to this world-wide number one hit, a heartfelt mournful ballad about a doomed love. The inspiration for the lyrics have speculatively been attributed to varied sources: Keith Richards' long time love, Anita Pallenberg; David Bowie's ex-wife, Angela Bowie; and even David Bowie himself, who Angela claimed to have once found in bed with Jagger (it was in fact Keith Richards' daughter Angela who inspired the name choice). "Everywhere I look, I see your eyes...." Run time 4:52.