Bat out of hell (Meat Loaf)


About the artist: Meat Loaf (1947 - 2022) was an American singer and actor. He is noted for his powerful, wide-ranging voice and for his theatrical live shows. After the commercial success of his first two albums, he experienced some difficulty establishing a steady career. Nevertheless, he is one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with worldwide sales of more than 80 million records. Meat Loaf currently has two songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: Meat Loafs stunning debut album Bat out of hell has been described quite aptly as a fascinating cocktail of Springsteen, Spector and Wagner. The title track is not as famous as the three hit singles (Paradise by the dashboardlight, Two out of three ain't bad and You took the words right out of my mouth), but in my opinion it is the best track on a CD that I consider one of the ten best CDs of all time. Almost 10 minutes of raw power with the piano solos and guest star Rundgren's motorbike-guitar as fascinating instrumental highlights, ending in the death of the singer ("and the last thing I see is my heart still beating, breaking out of my body and flying away.... like a bat out of hell!"). Run time 9:51.