Tian Tang (Tengger)


About the artist: Tengger (1960) is a Chinese singer and movie star from Inner Mongolia, whose name is also transcribed as Tenger, Tengeer, Tenggeer or Tengri, to complicate searches. He is immensely popular in China and South East Asia, but it is difficult to find information about him on non-Chinese sites.

About the song: the first time I heard the song Tian Tang (Paradise), in a CD shop in Shanghai, it blew me away. When I asked my wife whether she knew the singer, I found out it is actually one of her favourite songs as well. Repeated listening has only strengthened my appreciation. This is music that deserves a far wider listening than it unfortunately will get. He recorded it many times in the course of his career; my favourite version is the one from 1997. Run time 7:33.