Lover's cross (Jim Croce)


Abou the artist: Jim Croce (1943 - 1973) was an American folk and rock singer-songwriter. Between 1966 and 1973, Croce released five studio albums, but died in a plain crash just as the big successes started to come for him. He left behind a string of the best ballads ever written. Jim Croce currently has four songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: Lover's cross is a track of the incredible album I got a name, his third album in just two years, and sporting five songs that I rate 'essential' or higher. It is also a song that I can add to the "misheard lyrics" pile - the recurring lines "Cause now it seems that you wanted a martyr, just a regular guy wouldn't do - but baby I can't hang upon no lover's cross for you" only really made sense once I googled for the lyrics - all the time I had misheard "martyr" as "mother"..... Run time 3:04.