Torn (Natalie Imbruglia)


About the artist: Natalie Imbruglia (1975) is an Australian singer-songwriter, model and actress. She released six studio albums, which have combined sales of 10 million copies worldwide. Natalie Imbruglia currently has one song in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: Torn is a track from the 1998 album Left of the middle. I was interested in this song long before I heard even one single note: The MTV clip caught my eye even though I had turned off the sound - really, looking at the album cover, can you blame me? Later I found, much to my surprise, that the song (a cover of an Ednaswap song) is as beautiful as the singer. Of course, her voice is not impressive (certainly in live and unplugged renditions), but on the studio CD track this is corrected by clever production. And the guitar solo near the end must rank as one of the most memorable moments in pop singles history. Run time 4:04.