I'm Mandy fly me (10CC)


About the band: 10cc are a British rock band formed in 1972. Throughout the seventies they scored hit after hit and a string of successful albums with their unique art pop style. In 1976, half of the band split off as Godley and Creme, but the others continued, and had some more successes until the end of the decade. In total they released 11 studio albums. 10CC currently have two songs in my list of about 200 best pop/rock songs of all time.

About the song: I'm Mandy, fly me from the 1976 album How dare you is a relatively unknown gem in 10CC's amazing repertoire. The title is based on an advertisement campaign by a British airline of those days. The song itself tells the story of a plain crash victim being saved by the stewardess of his dreams. Its remarkable pace changes shows off the best in 10CC's considerable vocal and instrumental possibilities. Songs like the later Dreadlock holiday may have been far more successful, but this undeservedly obscure song is far superior in my opinion. Run time 5:22.