Monday

Bubbling under: Oh well (Fleetwood Mac)

The Fleetwood Mac (image credit) classic Oh well, from the 1969 album Then play on, is a unique song, composed of two completely contrasted parts - in fact the song was split along those lines in a single release, hence the classification often seen as Oh well parts 1 and 2. The song starts out as a conventional up-tempo bluesy rock song, with some nice lyrics twists ("I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin - But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to"). After three and a half minutes the song abruptly ends to give away to the awesome second part, a pensive guitar dominated instrumental, which clearly influenced bands like Pink Floyd and Dire Straits. It was to be their swan song in the sixties' line-up with major creative influence Peter Greene ending up in a mental institute.

YouTube

No comments: