Monday

1. Shine on you crazy diamond (Pink Floyd)

It took Pink Floyd (image credit) two years before they managed to release a worthy successor to the mega-hit The Dark Side Of The Moon. Actually, I much prefer that next album, Wish you were here from 1975. In particular the moving tribute to founder Syd Barrett: Shine on you crazy diamond (split in two parts, filling over half of the album) is the best they have ever done. For its length, it is extraordinarily well constructed, firmly held together by Gilmour's melancholy bluesy guitar play. One of the main advantages of burning your own CD's is that I can now listen to the two parts as one integral 25 minutes song - the way I at least think it should be, and the way I have included it in my list.

Other songs by this act that would have qualified: Comfortably numb, Julia dream, Time, Wish you were here, Echoes.

YouTube

No comments: