Monday

11. Forbidden colours (David Sylvian)

Together with his good friend Ryuichi Sakamoto, former Japan singer David Sylvian (picture credit) had recorded the gem Forbidden colours in 1983 for the movie Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. The Japanese inspired melody is one of the most haunting ever written. The text with its Christian references ("The wounds on your hands never seem to heal, I thought all I needed was to believe - Here am I, a lifetime away from you, the blood of Christ, or the beat of my heart") is thought provoking and poetic. As good as the version they recorded for the soundtrack was, they outdid themselves in the re-make for the 1987 album Secrets of the bee-hive, which is the one included in my list.

Other songs by this act that would have qualified: Brilliant trees.

YouTube

No comments: