Wednesday

39. The first time ever I saw your face (Roberta Flack)

Strangely enough, it was The Foogees who in the late nineties brought this song to my attention! Their highly successful cover of Killing me softly with his song made me buy a Roberta Flack (image credit) compilation CD with the original version, which I much preferred. On that CD, I found the beautiful 1969 love song The first time ever I saw your face, which for some strange reason escaped my attention the first time around. It is hardly an unknown gem: it was written in 1957 by Ewan MacGoll for Peggy Seeger; Roberta Flack's version made the number one spot in the USA in 1972 after it was used in the Clint Eastwood movie Play Misty for me, and George Michael quite rightly selected it as one of the best songs of the twentieth century on his abum of the same name.

Other songs by this act that would have qualified: not applicable.

YouTube

No comments: