Wednesday

63. Torn (Natalie Imbruglia)

I was interested in this 1998 song long before I heard even one single note: The MTV clip of Australian actress/singer Natalie Imbruglia (image credit) caught my eye even though I had turned off the sound - really, looking at the picture, can you blame me? Later I found, much to my surprise, that Torn (taken from the album Left of the middle) is as beautiful as the singer. Of course, her voice is not impressive (certainly in live and unplugged renditions), but on the studio CD track this is corrected by clever production. And the guitar solo near the end must rank as one of the most memorable moments in pop singles history. I know that many consider the original by Ednaswap to be superior. Never having heard that one, I obviously can't comment on it.

Other songs by this act that would have qualified: not applicable.

YouTube

No comments: