Monday

85. Angie (Rolling Stones)

In general I do not particularly like the Stones (image credit), but the exception is this song from the 1973 album Goats Head Soup. The ballad Angie was released as a single when I was 16, just at the time that I really started to get interested in pop and rock music. Nothing in their repertoire comes close to this world-wide number one hit, a heartfelt mournful ballad about a doomed love. The inspiration for the lyrics have speculatively been attributed to varied sources: Keith Richards' long time love, Anita Pallenberg, David Bowie's ex-wife, Angela Bowie, and even David Bowie himself, whom Angela claimed to have once found in bed with Jagger (it was in fact Keith Richards' daughter Angela who inspired the name choice). "Everywhere I look, I see your eyes...."

Other songs by this act that would have qualified: not applicable.

YouTube

No comments: